Thursday, February 4, 2010

Air Cond Inertia

So I'm driving on a straight, maybe doing 10 over the limit. The day is hot, sun glares bouncing off everything metallic in front of me, which happens to be virtually everything in front of me. My car air conditioner is on full blast, but I can't feel them because they're all facing nothing. Before I knew it, I've almost missed my exit off the highway. I glanced at the rearview mirror to my left and, having checked there was nothing to my left, banked hard trying my best to avoid the incoming divider. For a brief moment, maybe a split second or two, I felt cool air brush my face. Then it was gone.

Then I realized that air are physical particles that are subject to Inertia. To those not familiar with this term, go jump off a building. Kidding.

Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to a change in its state of motion. For example when you're driving at 120 km/h, hit the brakes, and feel your body and everything in your car fly forward. When you're driving at 120 km/h, everything in your car is actually at the same speed, although stagnant. Then when you hit the brakes, you and your Winnie the Pooh tissue box flies front because you cannot adjust to the reduction of speed as fast as the car could ( thanks to Brembo, mostly). I love Wiki.

So the same theory applies to your air conditioner.
When you're driving straight, RED Arrows indicate air-cond direction and YELLOW Arrows indicate Inertia direction. You get pushed back deeper into your seat every time you squeeze your pedal, although intensity of this depends fully on how powerful your car is. May I recommend the Aston Martin V12 Vantage. All's well and kept exactly at its place, even your Winnie the Pooh tissue box.

Then,




You bank hard left as you were about to miss your turning and in KL, missing a turning in a highway is almost as bad as wearing rapper hoodies out under hot sun, in KL. So hard left, and notice gravity starts to pull you to the right. This also depends on the turning power of your car. May I recommend, also, the Aston V12 Vantage. Your tissue box flies to the right. Your heavily Bio Therm-ed face smeared the power window. You feel a brief gush of cool air. YELLOW Arrows indicate Inertia and RED Arrows indicate air-cond direction altered from Inertia.

All physical matter, air particles including, were travelling in 120 km/h in one direction (to the east for example). Then you suddenly swerved North, giving these particles no time to adjust itself therefore colliding with each other in the direction against the one you are trying to head. Hence beautifully Ionized 16 degC air brushing the little fur you have on your face ( Applicable to Chinese only) for the little moment, because life's all about these little moments.

So next time when you're driving under killer hot sun, and you're too lazy to take either of your hands off the  shifters to direct your air cond blowers toward your face, take a hard left ( or right if yours is a left-hand drive) every now and then to enjoy brief moments of cool air.

Disclaimer: The writer is not an expert driver. All his experimental ideas are pure fabrications of his unstable imagination only. He is not Isaac Newton therefore this theory is not sound and cannot be used as a source in any Academic writings.
 Do not try this experiment, and even if you do, not with the Aston Martin V12 Vantage. However if you do own an Aston Martin V12 Vantage, kindly oblige yourself to letting the writer test this experiment out with your car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment