Monday, January 11, 2010

Readings: A Million Little Pieces by James Frey


It's over. I flipped through the final pages of the book. It's over. I picked up this book about a year ago, from a friend. From the first page "I wake up to the drone of the plane..", his voice rang in my ears. James Frey. I don't know how he sound like in life, but as he read me his story he sounded a lot like me. *Chuckles*. Duh. Pure raw, blatant, uncensored, violent writing. No consideration for anyone at all. Frey dug deep into his head and out came probably the most beautiful memoir ever written. 


A Million Little Pieces tells a story of a man, at the age of 23, thrown into rehab by his parents. His eyes will bring you through his addiction to substances from Crack to Alcohol, daily pass-outs, pant-pissings and  bloody-vomitings. The insects that crawl out from under his skin, the reek of a Crack house, the Fury that Screams Bloody Murder. His words simple, his emotions rich and pungent. Frey will take you on an emotional ride that will get you hooked onto the book. By the end of the book you'll wish to God it's not the end. 


Frey was called 'The Man Who Conned Oprah' because he apparently created most parts of this book. Fact or fiction, this book is worth ten reads. But be warned. This book should have came with a tag 'CAUTION: FINISH ENTIRE COURSE'. The book will make you smoke or smoke more. The book will make you want to do pot, crack, meth and drink. Like an Antibiotic, finishing the entire book is the most recommended course of action. At the end of the book I felt like I need to quit smoking. But of course I woke up the next day and the feeling was gone.




No comments:

Post a Comment